The Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity is currently seeking applicants for a full-time position overseeing upcoming house construction projects, including new construction, rehabs, and repairs throughout a four-county area. Qualified candidates will have very strong construction skills, a knowledge of and adherence to safety procedures, and the ability to teach and work alongside volunteers of all different experience levels and personality types.
Important qualities include excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, flexibility, organization and time management skills, a team player attitude, initiative, attention to detail, patience, and a desire to make a difference in the community. The typical construction work week is Tuesday - Saturday. Additional qualifications include the ability to lift at least 75 pounds and a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
1. College degree or related equivalent experience in a construction related field.
2. Three years of experience in the building trades.
3. Construction crew supervisory experience.
4. Experience with green building practices and certifications.
5. Comprehensive knowledge, understanding, and experience in construction and construction management.
6. Thorough knowledge of standard building codes, OSHA safety standards, local government jurisdiction policies and procedures for permitting, zoning, performance bonds, and inspections.
7. Knowledge of and experience with bidding, hiring, and supervising subcontractors.
8. Ability to relate to and work with volunteers and families of diverse races, faiths, income and skill levels.
9. Basic computer skills, such as word processing, e-mail, and the ability and willingness to learn new software as needed.
10. Must have a driver’s license and ability to drive construction service vehicles.
11. Strong, effective, oral communication skills.
12. Strong organizational skills.
13. Preferable but not mandatory - Contractor's license and previous Habitat for Humanity construction experience.
Salary dependent on experience and qualifications.
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com . Please put construction staff in the subject line of the email. The cover letter should include your understanding of Habitat for Humanity's mission and how your skills and experience would benefit our organization.
The Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to use and assign the best qualified staff for all of our positions in a way that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.